Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Orthopedic Specialty Services
Arthroscopic Surgery, Emergency Ortho, Sports Injuries, Total Joint Replacement, X-Ray & Diagnostics
Arthroscopy is a surgical procedure orthopedic surgeons use to visualize, diagnose, and treat problems inside a joint. To look inside your joint, your surgeon will use an arthroscope, a slender instrument that contains a lens and a light source. The arthroscope and other special tools are inserted into the joint through tiny incisions. Using a camera, the arthroscope sends an image of your joint to a TV screen that lets your surgeon see your joint more clearly.
Arthroscopy is performed because:
- The surgeon can often find and treat the problem during one procedure.
- The surgeon can often see the joint better than with open surgery.
- It creates smaller incisions than open surgery, possibly resulting in faster recovery and less scarring.
Preparing for arthroscopic surgery:
- Have any tests that your surgeon orders.
- Don’t eat or drink anything for 8 hours before surgery. This includes coffee, water, and gum.
- Stop taking anti-inflammatory medications, such as aspirin, 7–10 days before surgery.
- Ask in advance if you can take any daily medication on the day of surgery.
- If you smoke, now is a good time to stop. This will reduce the risk of surgical complications.
- Arrange for a friend or family member to give you a ride home after surgery.
Emergency Orthopedic Care
UP Health System - Portage has you covered with the Western Upper Peninsula’s only 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week, 52-weeks-a-year emergency orthopedic coverage.
One of our expert orthopedic surgeons is always available when the need arises to provide quality, compassionate care on a one-on-one basis.
The service isn’t an easy one to offer, needing a sizable commitment out of our surgeons as well as surgical technicians and providers of anesthesiology services.
This commitment to your care is part of what makes UP Health System - Portage the area’s premium healthcare provider.
- 24/7 Orthopaedic Care Offerings
- X-Ray Services
- Orthopedic Surgeon On Call
- Anesthesiologist or CRNA On Call
- Surgical Technicians On Call
24/7 orthopedic care provided for:
- Complex fractures or breaks in:
- hip, knee, shoulder, foot, ankle
- Traumatic Emergencies
Total Joint Replacement
Our team at UP Health System - Portage specializes in a wide range of joint replacement procedures. Some of these include:
- Top hip replacement
- Total knee replacement
- Total shoulder replacement
X-Ray & Diagnostics
The Radiology Department provides one of the most important services at UP Health System - Portage: medical imaging and radiology services.
We offer a complete range of procedures to help your physician diagnose medical problems and start you on your road to recovery.
We operate a completely digital department
- Faster, more efficient service
- More precise reports
- Most reports to your doctor’s office within 24 hours
We use state-of-the-art equipment
- Digital X-ray
- Open bore MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- 64-slice CT scanning
- Digital mammography
- Nuclear medicine
- 3D ultrasound
We offer 24-hour staffing for X-rays and Computerized Tomography (CT)
We work with 3 radiologists to read your exams and provide a range of interventional procedures, including:
- Needle biopsies of the breast, liver, lung, bone, thyroid, and prostate
- Pain management
- Epidural steroid injections for back pain
- Joint injections
- PICC lines (Long-term IV access for medications)
- Fluid aspirations
For more information about our Radiology Department, please call (906) 483-1410 or (800) 573-5001 (toll-free).
- Our Doctors
- Cancer Care
- Dialysis Center
- Emergency Services
- Express Care
- Fitness Center
- Home Care
- Rehab & Sports Medicine
- Sleep Medicine
- Women's Health
- Wound Care
- X-ray & Diagnostics
- All Services