UP Health System - Portage Hospice is dedicated to helping terminally ill patients and their loved ones cope with death and dying.
Our hospice team — registered nurses, home health aides, social workers, chaplains, therapists and volunteers — can:
- help patients and families live as fully and meaningfully as possible.
- palliate physical, emotional and spiritual suffering.
- enable patients to die at home.
- provide bereavement support to caregivers before and after a patient\'s death
The goals of UP Health System - Portage Hospice
- to help terminally ill people live as fully and meaningfully as possible, at home.
- to help with pain and symptom control.
- to help relieve the emotional, spiritual and mental distress of a patient, their family and their caregivers.
- to provide bereavement support before and after death.
- to assist the patient, their family and their caregivers in dealing with dying and death as an inevitable part of living
The goals of UP Health System - Portage Hospice for patients in long-term care facilities
- to provide highly trained, well-qualified hospice volunteers as part of the healthcare team
- to provide hospice services, such as visitation and emotional support, to residents and families
- to provide bereavement support to the family
Who can receive care?
A terminally-ill patient whom the doctor has determined has six months or fewer to live, if the disease takes its normal course.
To receive hospice care, a patient must also have a willing and able caregiver. Anyone can request hospice care.
The program is not affiliated with any particular religious denomination. UP Health System - Portage Hospice recognizes, however, that spiritual needs are an integral part of the human experience. The assistance of a minister, priest or rabbi familiar to the family can be arranged so that this period of life may be nourished as fully as possible.
We Honor Veterans
To help provide care and support that reflects the important contributions made by veterans, UP Health System - Portage Home Care & Hospice has become a national partner of We Honor Veterans, a campaign developed by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization (NHPCO) in collaboration with the Department of Veterans Affairs. As a partner, we will implement ongoing veteran-centered education for our staff and volunteers to help improve the care we proudly serve to veterans.
For more information, call UP Health System - Portage Home Care and Hospice (906) 483-1160 or (800) 573-5001 (toll-free).