Facts about Traumatic Injuries
Emergency & Trauma
Did you know that:
- In medical terms, the word trauma refers to a serious or critical bodily injury, wound or shock.
- Common traumatic injuries include fractures, burns and head injuries.
- Trauma-related injuries frequently are caused by crashes involving cars, snowmobiles and other types of motor vehicles, fires and falls.
- Trauma is the No. 1 cause of death among children and adults younger than 45 years of age.
- Trauma is the No. 4 cause of death among all age groups.
- There are approximately 170,000 deaths from trauma-related injuries each year, or more than 400 deaths per day.
- Traumatic injuries kill more children than the next 10 causes of death combined.
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic injury in elderly people, accounting for 84 percent of all hip fractures.
- Trauma is preventable.
For more information about preventing traumatic injuries, please call Portage Health at (906) 483-1000.