Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Our hospital is committed to providing the highest quality care and ensuring the safety of our patients, employees, providers, volunteers, and visitors. We are continuing to monitor the evolving situation with the coronavirus (COVID-19) and are taking the necessary steps to ensure we are fully prepared to care for patients, in accordance with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and in partnership with our local and state health departments.
We are continuing to wear masks out of an abundance of caution and to protect our patients and each other. In accordance with state and federal guidelines, the following safety protocols have not changed:
- Isolating our COVID-19 patients.
- Requiring universal masking.
- Limiting access to symptomatic individuals.
- Implementing the most effective cleaning & distribution protocols throughout our facilities.
COVID-19 Online Risk Assessment
To help support the health of our community, we are providing access to an online COVID-19 risk assessment developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This tool does NOT provide a diagnosis, and it should NOT be used as a substitute for an assessment made by a healthcare provider.
Entrances, Hours, and Access
UP Health System - Portage continues to see patients for their scheduled appointments. If you have arranged to see your provider, please attend as planned. If you have any questions about attending your appointment, please contact your provider's office directly.
- The Main Entrance is open Monday - Friday from 5:30 am - 8:00 pm.
- The Emergency Department Entrance is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The Rehab Entrance is open Monday - Friday from 5:30 am - 8:00 pm.
- The Patient Access Center is open Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 3:00 pm until further notice. Patients who need to register outside of that time frame can register at the Emergency Department registration.
UP Health System - Portage | Apothecary
- Apothecary Houghton is open Monday - Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm until further notice.
- At-Risk Patient Hours: Monday - Thursday from 8:30 am - 9:00 am.
- Apothecary Hancock is open regular hours: 8:30 am - 6 pm on weekdays and 10 am - 2 pm on weekends.
- At-Risk Patient Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 8:30 am.
We continue to closely monitor the prevalence of COVID-19 in our community, following state and federal guidelines to best adapt our operations and provide a safe care environment at UP Health System - Portage. Click here to see the current visitor restrictions.
Until further notice, all health care facilities must perform a health evaluation of all individuals that are not under the care of the facility each time the individual seeks to enter the facility and must deny entry to those individuals who do not meet the evaluation criteria. The evaluation criteria include:
- Symptoms of a respiratory infection such as fever, cough, shortness of breath or sore throat.
- Contact in the last 14 days with someone with a confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19.
- All individuals entering the facility must wear an appropriate mask or face covering at all times.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention | www.cdc.gov
- Michigan Department of Health & Human Services | www.michigan.gov
- CALL CENTER | 1.888.535.6136 (open 7 days a week, 8 am - 5 pm)
- Western Upper Peninsula Health Department | www.wupdhd.org
- CALL CENTER | 906.487.5545 (open Monday - Friday, 8 am - 4 pm)
- Michigan Health & Hospital Association | www.mha.org
- The state has set up a link on the Michigan.gov/coronavirus website for those wishing to help. To volunteer, click the link below