Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Our hospital is committed to providing the highest quality care and ensuring the safety of our patients, employees, providers, volunteers, and visitors. We are continuing to monitor the evolving situation with the coronavirus (COVID-19) and are taking the necessary steps to ensure we are fully prepared to care for patients, in accordance with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and in partnership with our local and state health departments.
COVID-19 Online Risk Assessment
To help support the health of our community, we are providing access to an online COVID-19 risk assessment developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This tool does NOT provide a diagnosis, and it should NOT be used as a substitute for an assessment made by a healthcare provider.
- The only open entrances to the hospital are the Main Entrance and the Emergency Department Entrance until further notice.
- The Main Entrance is open the following hours:
- Monday - Friday: 7:30 am - 6 pm
- The Emergency Department Entrance is open 24 hours a day, 7 days week
- The Main Entrance is open the following hours:
- The Laboratory provides designated hours for routine lab draws for any at-risk patients.
- Laboratory At-Risk Patient Hours: Monday - Friday from 7 am - 9 am
- Apothecary Houghton hours are Monday - Friday from 9 am - 5 pm until further notice.
- At-Risk Patient Hours: Monday - Thursday from 8:30 am - 9 am
- Apothecary Hancock is open regular hours: 8:30 am - 6 pm on weekdays and 10 am - 2 pm on weekends.
- At-Risk Patient Hours: Monday - Friday from 8 am - 8:30 am
- Access to the Apothecary can be made through the ED Entrance on weekends.
- The Patient Access Center is open Monday - Friday from 8 am - 3 pm until further notice. Patients who need to register outside of that time frame can register at the Emergency Department registration.
- The Guilded Rose Gift Shop is closed until further notice.
- The UPHS - Portage Café is only open for patients and employees.
- PortagePointe is closed to all visitors.
At UP Health System – Portage, our top priority is safeguarding the health and wellbeing of our patients, providers, employees, and community. We continue to closely monitor the prevalence of COVID-19 in our community and follow state and federal guidance as we adapt our operations to safely care for and support our patients. Effective Tuesday, January 19, 2021, visitors will not be permitted into our inpatient unit. Our previous limited visitation hours for inpatients of 10:00 am - 8:00 pm will be suspended until further notice.
Visitors will only be permitted into the inpatient unit if they are:
- Necessary for the provision of medical care or to exercise the power of attorney or court-appointed guardianship for an individual currently admitted to the inpatient unit;
- Accompanying an admitted inpatient specifically at the time of discharge to assist with the process and/or post-procedure. Routine visiting will not be permitted;
- One support person with the patient in the Family Birthing Center, including one certified doula or midwife during labor;
- A parent, foster parent, or guardian of an individual under 21 years of age who is under the facility's care;
- Visiting an individual under the facility's care who is in critical condition or hospice care;
- Visiting under urgent circumstances or for the purpose of performing official government functions;
- Able to wear an appropriate mask or face covering. If you are unable to wear an appropriate mask or face covering, you may be denied entry into the facility.
- PLEASE NOTE: Visitors are not allowed for patients in isolation including those who are under observation for suspected or test positive for COVID-19.
Limiting the number of visitors in our inpatient unit is in the best interest of our high-risk inpatient population at this time. Every effort will be made to utilize other means of communication between patients and family.
As a reminder, our visitation policy for those not currently staying in our inpatient unit is as follows:
- Patients will be limited to one WELL visitor per stay, including one companion for ambulatory appointments.
- All approved WELL visitors must be 18 years of age or older, will be screened upon entry, and will be required to wear a mask at all times while in the facility. Visitors are encouraged to help us preserve personal protective equipment (PPE) and wear their own mask if possible.
- Visitors who do not pass the screening at entry will be asked to reschedule their visit until they are symptom-free.
- We continue to screen everyone who enters our facilities for symptoms consistent with COVID-19, per CDC guidelines.
- Please utilize alternative methods of communication, including technology, with patients as much as possible.
PortagePointe continues to have a no visitor policy at this time.
Signage is posted around the facility notifying visitors and the community of these restrictions and guidelines. To view our current hours and points of access into the facility, click HERE.
Until further notice, all health care facilities must perform a health evaluation of all individuals that are not under the care of the facility each time the individual seeks to enter the facility and must deny entry to those individuals who do not meet the evaluation criteria. The evaluation criteria include:
- Symptoms of a respiratory infection such as fever, cough, shortness of breath or sore throat
- Contact in the last 14 days with someone with a confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19
- All individuals entering the facility must wear an appropriate mask or face covering at all times.